Leisure Activities Thailand
In Bangkok, we will start with a leisurely boat trip on 24 April, departing from Shangri-La Hotel at 18.30 hrs. We will cruising along the Chao Phraya River while we enjoy sunset cocktails on board before we dock at the restaurant where we will enjoy a delicious Thai dinner in a lustrous garden setting. The following night, 25 April, there will be a grand dinner at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel’s Riverside Terrace where there also will be the Prize Ceremony for the Norway-Asia Business Award 2014.
We have purposely not planned any evening activities on Saturday 26 April in order to give delegates time to shop and those leaving for Yangon the following night some time to relax.
Below are some shopping options:
- Asiatique (one of Bangkok’s new and trendy dining and shopping malls close to the Shangri-La Hotel. 10 minutes by boat every hour on the hour from Shangri-La Hotel to Asiatique)
- Jim Thompson Thai Silk (the original promoter of Thai silk, also available at Shangri-La Hotel)
- Jinny Leather at Silom Village (huge variety of ladies handbags, a favourite amongst airline crews)
- Siam Paragon (one of Bangkok’s trendiest shopping centres)
- Central Department Store, Chidlom Road (Bangkok’s first real department story, recently completely renovated)
For a relaxing afternoon tea in true colonial atmosphere, visit Author’s Lounge at the Oriental Hotel. And don’t forget to study the pictures on the walls, a true reflection of Siam’s great past.
A visit to one of Bangkok’s many rooftop restaurants and bars is also a must. For dinner on 26 April, here are some suggestions:
- Opus Wine Bar & Restaurant (trendy Italian, not far from Shangri-La Hotel)
- Baan Khanitha at Asiatique (authentic Thai cuisine. Asiatique is one of Bangkok’s new and trendy dining and shopping malls close to the Shangri-La Hotel. 10 minutes by boat every hour on the hour from the hotel)
- Blue Elephant Restaurant (authentic Thai cuisine, not far from Shangri-La Hotel)
- Baan Klang Naam (a more rustic, authentic Thai seafood riverside restaurant)
- Artur Restaurant (one of Bangkok’s top French restaurants; great steaks!)
- Vertigo and Moon Bar (one of Bangkok’s finer rooftop restaurants)
On Sunday 27 April, we have booked the Thana City Golf Course with tee off at 11.30 hrs. Experienced golfers in Thailand have convinced us that this is a better tee-off time than early morning when the courses are crowded on weekend mornings. Further details will follow soon.
The following activities are planned:
25 April morning: Thai cooking class at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel
25 April afternoon: Shopping Tour of Bangkok
26 April morning: Canal Tour of Western Bangkok